Stories for Change Action Community

• 1.  #S4C #ChangeAGEnts365

Posted 12-03-2015 12:37 AM
    Edited by Scott A Kaiser 12-03-2015 01:04 AM

Traveling back West following a quick visit to the "City of Brotherly Love" for the annual John A. Hartford Foundation Change AGEnts Conference, I happily report that the role of stories in leading change efforts, once again, took center stage.  From the opening presentation on, narrative accounts framed our objectives and effectively focused our coalition.  Several experienced leaders referred to specific ways they have utilized stories to catalyze change initiatives and to provide the cornerstone for widespread and durable impact.

Amid the wealth of experience, insight, expertise, and steadfast commitment to our cause, we celebrated the opportunity for collective action.  Recounting the story of a few people who reinvigorated their community through a series of small, seemingly inconsequential steps, David Altman, of the Center for Creative Leadership, shared St Francis of Assisi's notion: "start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."  We recognize the necessity, we appreciate the critical imperative and we know that so much must be done to improve systems of care.  In relating first-hand experiences of the challenges individuals, families, and communities face; in sharing the personal accounts of real world solutions and elevating the narrative associated with those glimmers of light, we can transcend rhetoric and engage others in doing what is possible to improve the health and well-being of our community.   Let's start by telling the story and perhaps we'll find, suddenly, that we are leading a movement.

Stay tuned for a post to the broader platform, over the next day or two, reminding fellow Change AGEnts about the "Stories For Change" Action Community and its objectives.  I was encouraged by the degree of interest in, and support for, this effort that so many conference attendees shared and hope you will join me in encouraging colleagues to get involved and contribute as well.    

-Sk

------------------------------
    Scott Kaiser
    Chief Innovation Officer
    MPTF (Motion Picture & Television Fund)
    Woodland Hills CA
    (818) 876-1758

Member Referral Ad_New Logo

• 2.  RE: #S4C #ChangeAGEnts365

Posted 12-05-2015 12:39 PM

Scott's news is very exciting!  I also led a dynamic meeting at GSA with some of our Stories for Change team members and we had doctoral student from Fielding, Eileen Cleary attending as well as several San Francisco attendees (including Dr. Carroll Estes well known for her work in critical gerontology) as well as Nancy Whitelaw who is very involved in the Change AGEnts arena.

Stay tuned in the coming weeks for details and some preliminary plans for the webinars in 2016!

Happy holidays to all, and peace on earth...

Connie

PS here is Scott's original post in case it doesn't show up (I had to cut and paste it from email...):

Traveling back West following a quick visit to the "City of Brotherly Love" for the annual John A. Hartford Foundation Change AGEnts Conference, I happily report that the role of stories in leading change efforts, once again, took center stage.  From the opening presentation on, narrative accounts framed our objectives and effectively focused our coalition.  Several experienced leaders referred to specific ways they have utilized stories to catalyze change initiatives and to provide the cornerstone for widespread and durable impact.

Amid the wealth of experience, insight, expertise, and steadfast commitment to our cause, we celebrated the opportunity for collective action.  Recounting the story of a few people who reinvigorated their community through a series of small, seemingly inconsequential steps, David Altman, of the Center for Creative Leadership, shared St Francis of Assisi's notion: "start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."  We recognize the necessity, we appreciate the critical imperative and we know that so much must be done to improve systems of care.  In relating first-hand experiences of the challenges individuals, families, and communities face; in sharing the personal accounts of real world solutions and elevating the narrative associated with those glimmers of light, we can transcend rhetoric and engage others in doing what is possible to improve the health and well-being of our community.   Let's start by telling the story and perhaps we'll find, suddenly, that we are leading a movement.

Stay tuned for a post to the broader platform, over the next day or two, reminding fellow Change AGEnts about the "Stories For Change" Action Community and its objectives.  I was encouraged by the degree of interest in, and support for, this effort that so many conference attendees shared and hope you will join me in encouraging colleagues to get involved and contribute as well.    

-Sk

Scott Kaiser
    Chief Innovation Officer
    MPTF (Motion Picture & Television Fund)
    Woodland Hills CA
    (818) 876-1758

Connie Corley
    Professor
    Fielding Graduate University