Stories for Change Action Community

• 1.  S4C Library

Posted 09-02-2015 02:53 PM

As we press on in our effort to create and curate powerful narratives that shed a light on issues facing older Americans, it may be helpful to develop a library of works that exemplify our objectives and advance our mission.   Through this forum we can identify and discuss publications that harness the power of story to both shape popular discourse on aging issues and propel needed systems change.  

To set it off, let's give the honors of our inaugural catalog entry to "The Gift of Caring: Saving Our Parents from the Perils of Modern Healthcare," by Marcy Cottrell Houle with physician Elizabeth Eckstrom.  

I must admit, I have NOT yet read this but was captivated by an op-ed published in the LA Times yesterday (Sep 1, 2015); "How our healthcare system can be deadly to the elderly"    (kudos for the shocking headline).

How our healthcare system can be deadly to the elderly

latimes.com remove preview
    How our healthcare system can be deadly to the elderly
    The nation's healthcare system is endangering the elderly. But few outside the geriatric medical community seem to notice. I learned about this problem the hard way - when caring for an aging parent. My father, a highly regarded orthopedic surgeon, developed Alzheimer's when he turned 78.
    View this on latimes.com >

Of course, the issues pointed out in this op-ed would not come as news to any members of this forum.  That said, as Houle point's out:  "The nation's healthcare system is endangering the elderly. But few outside the geriatric medical community seem to notice."   I agree and commend Houle for her effort to change that! 

A few thoughts on humble ways we may build upon this momentum and accept a call to action: 

Discuss:  please share comments and reflections on the above op-ed piece...and for anyone who has read Houle and Eckstrom's "The Gift of Caring?" we encourage any reviews or additional discussion.

Change AGEnts Crowdsource (Many Hands Make Light Work) :  as members of the action community encounter other books that they would like to include in our S4C library, please create an entry within this discussion.   (A few I have on deck:   Carole Levine's "Living in the Land of Limbo: Fiction and Poetry about Family Caregiving"...Debra Sheets Review of this book in the August 2015 Gerontologist was wonderful and something I may discuss as well.  Of course, Atul Gawande's "Being Mortal" continues to shape conversations around aging and end of life and should be included/discussed...of note, community discussions of the related PBS Frontline documentary seem to be popping up all over the place)      

--

As Houle concludes her op-ed she asserts "there is much discussion today about the so-called American way of death — the sometimes absurd lengths we go to prolong life for just a few weeks or months. As we debate end-of-life care, we may have lost the ability to appropriately treat people who aren't yet dying but are old and sick."   I agree with the central truth to this; however, I prefer not to see this as an either-or scenario and am hopeful that a robust societal discussion of issues surrounding care at the end-of-life may, in fact, set the stage for even more profound discussion of aging and the care of the most frail in general.  Likewise, as more and more people become intimately familiar with the horror stories surrounding the care of older Americans, I hope we will encounter bright spots along the way as well to illuminate our path forward.        

Sk

------------------------------
    Scott Kaiser
    Chief Innovation Officer
    MPTF (Motion Picture & Television Fund)
    Woodland Hills CA
    (818) 876-1758

Member Referral Ad_New Logo

• 2.  RE: S4C Library

Posted 09-04-2015 01:43 PM

Thanks Scott and I might be reading BEING MORTAL while on my trip to China (many hours of flying, so....).  Just downloaded the link to the story and will also post it on Facebook.

I'll see if I can share some items after returning from China (traveling 9/9 - 9/21) for our S4C library -- I like this acronym!

Connie

Connie Corley
    Professor
    Fielding Graduate University
    San Gabriel CA
    626-532-7438

• 3.  RE: S4C Library

Posted 09-09-2015 11:53 AM

Scott: Thanks so much for posting the article, "How Our Healthcare System Can Be Deadly to the Elderly." It's a powerful and frightening read.

Some of the stories I hope we'll emphasize in S4C are those that highlight and support the importance of an informed caregiver/advocate and the multiple ways in which these folks make a huge difference in delivering safe and effective care. For example, family members are often the first to notice the symptoms of delirium in a loved one and can help the clinical team get a better picture of the person for whom they are caring.

The article rightly points out the shocking shortage of trained geriatricians. It is of grave concern. We also need to keep in mind that 70% of long term care is provided by family and informal caregivers and that this "unseen and unsupported" workforce needs to be part of the solution of better care for everyone.

Molly Mettler
    Senior Vice President
    Healthwise
    Boise ID
    (208) 331-6910