2014 Annual Scientific Meeting

Mind Body * Integrative Health * Holistic Presentations

• 1.  Mind Body * Integrative Health * Holistic Presentations

Posted 10-24-2014 01:54 PM
    Dear GSA Attendees, Each year I write a piece for the national publication, Acupuncture Today, on aging related research presented at GSA on the topic of holistic services/medicine and integrative health research. Are you incorporating holistic services at your agency? Is this an area of your research? Would love to know more. For those interested in the topic, this year at GSA I will be chairing a symposium titled: Aging with HIV/AIDS: The Mind Body Connection. This symposium will present four scholarly papers grounded in a range of methodological approaches that explore the mind-body connection within local, national, and international populations of older adults with HIV/AIDS. The content and narrative analyses presented in the first paper explore the bodily experience of aging in both males and females with HIV in Switzerland. The paper provides insight into the complexity of physical aging changes, fears of aging, and optimism.Two papers examine the use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) in people aging with HIV/AIDS. The fourth paper compares depressive symptoms in older adults (ages 50-59 and 60-74) with HIV/AIDS (PLHIV) from the International Nursing Network for HIV/AIDS Research to similarly aged adults living with other chronic conditions from the Health and Retirement Study. The discussion will consider the inter-connections between biological and physical factors and mental well-being, and the importance of taking a holistic approach in the care and treatment of adults who are aging with HIV. Join myself, co-chair Mark Brennan-Ing, discussant Richard J. Havlik, along with panelists Andrew London, Maria Brown et al., and Christel Rapo: Friday November 7th from 8:00 AM - 9:30 AM in Room 204A (CC) (Walter E. Washington Convention Center). ------------------------------------------- Kristen Porter PhD Candidate University of Massachusetts - Boston kristen.porter001@umb.edu -------------------------------------------
    Member Referral Ad_New Logo