2014 Annual Scientific Meeting

• 1.  BSS Programming at Annual Meeting

Posted 10-29-2014 01:38 PM

Dear BSS Colleagues:

The GSA Annual Meeting is less than a week away and I would like to update you on the BSS program. In addition to the BSS Presidential Symposium, paper, poster and late-breaker sessions, we will feature four Discovery Exchange Panels that may be of interest to you.

Thursday, November 6

3:00 PM - 4:30 PM; Room 209C (CC)

Session Number 755, Program Book Page 97

Discovery Exchange: Mental Health and Minority Populations

Saturday, November 8

8:00 AM - 9:30 AM; Room 209C (CC)

Session Number 1525, Program Book Page 144

Discovery Exchange: Transportation and Aging Supported by the Transportation and Aging Interest Group

Saturday, November 8

Session Number 1755, Program Book Page 160

1:00 PM - 2:30 PM; East Salon A (CC)

Discovery Exchange: Families and Dementia Care

Saturday, November 8

Session Number 1910, Program Book Page 166

Discovery Exchange: Gerontological Methods

3:00 PM - 4:30 PM; Room 209C (CC)

Feedback on the 2012 Discovery Exchange Session

Before I forget just wanted to let you know that as both a participant and in the audience, I loved the Discovery Exchange format. Other than symposium, this type of session was my favorite.  The normal paper sessions have become drags for the most part.  I do go to at least one session in BS or HS where I have not a clue of the theory or literature for the most part so I need the background. I do that to challenge myself to learn something out of my norm but in my own field, I cringe listening to the same ol' stuff and let's face it that is where we all go through our programs to see where we'd rather be or where we'll jump to next once we hear to the findings. We catch up on our sleep or email for a while and then right near the end of the paper in the normal session wake up to 'meat'.  Not in the Discovery Exchange! We needed to be on our toes the entire time - it was so much fun to be challenged the entire time - I really loved them. I do so hope they got good reviews from others.-  Jan Wassel, The University of North Carolina- Greensboro

Looking forward to see you in D.C.

Jacqui Angel

2014 BSS Program Chair

-------------------------------------------
    Jacqueline Angel
    Professor Of Public Affairs And Sociology
    University of Texas at Austin
    Austin TX
    (512) 471-2956
    -------------------------------------------
    Member Referral Ad_New Logo

• 2.  RE: BSS Programming at Annual Meeting

Posted 10-30-2014 09:07 AM
    Super excited to present and to enjoy these sessions. Guess its gonna be edutainment :-).
    --
    André Müller (MA Sport Science)
    PhD Candidate University Malaya
    Phone: +60-1111556673
    Twitter: @Andre_M_Muller

Member Referral Ad_New Logo